Welcome to the sweetest room in our home. It’s not entirely complete… I still want curtains, a lamp for the bookshelf, and the picture frames need photos but we feel really great about the progress since it was an office/storage room just 10 weeks ago.
Baby update: Still waiting with really no signs of that changing anytime soon. We had a sonogram at our appointment this week and baby is doing great so we are in no rush and we’re so grateful for that. Our doctor wants to deliver within the week though so LESS THAN 7 DAYS! Crazy that this April baby is really looking like a May baby now.
We started this process back in March when it was on my monthly goal list and I am so happy to actually have this “done”. I say done in quotes because there are a couple more things that I want to add but for now it is fully functioning and wonderful.
Our laundry room started like this…
It was alright. That shelf was helpful for storing laundry detergent and other such laundry things (and discs and drills and ping pong paddles and cleaning supplies), but the clothes bar hung too low. The only space I could hang up clothes was in the small space between the washer and dryer. It wasn’t practical.
So goal number one was to raise the bar.
Goal number two was to add some cabinets. I like to hide my clutter, I’ll confess.
Oh and paint, new rug, new accents, fun colors, etc.
So I emptied out the space, filled the holes on the walls, demolished that shelf (which was attached to the wall with 40+ nails) and painted the walls!
I’ll admit my method of demolishing wasn’t the smartest or most effective, but I was home alone and didn’t have many tools. I essentially drilled into the wood until I found the nail and then pulled out the nail. Sometimes it worked, sometimes the nail broke, sometimes I just hit it really hard with a hammer and it popped off…
Once all the painting was done it was time to hang my cabinets. I bought two of THESE cabinets from Menards and painted them white, Ultra Bright White Behr, before hand.
The hottie husband had to help me with this part – but overall hanging these cabinets was super simple. Once the cabinets were on the wall I put on the doors with knobs from Menards and we were ready to add our new (reused but cut down to size) clothes rod.
The last thing on our list was adding a shelf above the washer and dryer. Mike did this part for me as well. He just cut a piece of wood to the right length and stained it with dark walnut. I LOVE the way it turned out. This shelf is removable so we can easily get to the water valves and pull the machines out if we have an issue.
Canister: Hand me down (I have two more to add to the shelf as soon as they’re painted)
Mason Jars: Had on hand but originally bought at Hobby Lobby
We are so pleased with how it turned out and with how much we spent.
Shelf: $15 (Wood and stain)
Rug: $24 TOTAL $170
We have what feels like an entirely new laundry room for less than $200. Is this real life? And we have space for our laundry supplies, our cleaning supplies, and our miscellaneous (this should probably go in the laundry room) supplies that are no longer in piles in other places of our home. It’s a great thing.
I still want to add some art to the wall between the cabinets and then maybe a few cute laundry accessories, but those things take time and I couldn’t not share this project any longer.
So, a little while back… I made these curtains for our guest room because our brother in law was living with us and the blinds down there seem to make the sun even brighter.. I’m pretty sure that it’s the brightest room in our house when the sun comes up.
So, a little while back (last summer) I made these curtains!
I bought two twin sheets from Bed Bath and Beyond in our color of choice (red) because the colors in this room will eventually be our wedding colors. Key word here is “eventually”. We’re working on it.
My mom had some extra blackout fabric, so I took that and got to work!
It’s pretty self explanatory, but you’re essentially making a big pocket with the black out liner in between the two sides of the sheet. We bought our clips and the curtain rod at Bed Bath and Beyond. This project probably cost us about $30 which is AWE.SOME. The next step in this room is replacing those vinyl blinds with some wooden ones to block out a little more of the brightest sun in the world.
But now, back to reality, this is happening in another room in our house and I CANNOT WAIT to share more about it with you! But first, we have to actually start…